geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo in year 2008
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:26:39 GMT
Things that I haven't seen mentioned, yet:

EE 6 -- we should be seeing an initial EE 6 spec, soon. As other
projects begin implementing EE 6 capabilities, I expect that we'll be
rolling them into Geronimo. There are also new specifications which we
may need to implement ourselves. I know that Jarek has looked at the
Concurrency Utilities specification (which may be part of EE 6).
Hoping he can tell us about that...

Performance -- One area that I think we need to improve is startup
time. I think our startup has slowed down, and I'd like to see us
speed it up dramatically. We can measure current startup performance
and optimize our hot spots. Depending on what we find, we can also
investigate algorithmic enhancements.

Monitoring -- I think we need to get a handle on the metrics that can
be monitored in Geronimo, document them, and look for areas of
improvement.

Logging -- review our current logging infrastructure. Too many
components lack appropriate logging capabilities. This makes debug and
problem analysis more difficult than it should be. I think we need to
start addressing this problem with more. We're debugging too many
problems, still.

Plugin development -- I'd like to make it easier to develop plugins. I
think we should look into tooling support (Eclipse and Netbeans). I'd
also like to simplify the process for administrative creation of
plugins (admin console or admin commands).

Server assembly --  We could look at simplifying this process. You
currently must have application plugins in order to include
application capabilities in a server assembly. Why not export based on
one or more installed applications? Also, in addition to our current,
low-level module/plugin focus, can we have a simpler/higher-level
focus? Some users would rather choose "JMS" rather than
"org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-ra/2.1/car", "JSP/Servlet",
"Deploy" capabilities, etc.

--kevan