geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik B. Craig" <ecr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Diagnostic Utility For AG
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:48:16 GMT
David,

I don't think that such a thing should/would be built to necessarily
automatically generate the wiki itself, but more of automatically
generate a URL based on say, an  MD5 hash, that if the user were to go
to this URL, would create a wiki page at that time (for example, http://geronimo.apache.org/bugs/

<md5 hash here>).

Upon visiting this URL, users could put any kind of information they
want on this wiki-style page... what they were doing, environment,
etc... if they have figured a way to prevent or fix it.. that kind of
thing. If the page is already created/someone else has already posted
information on this particular crash circumstance, this information
would be viewable by all subsequent visitors.

I agree with you that it would be preferable to have a human-readable
key, but also like you I'm at a loss currently as to how to generate
such a thing. Perhaps it could be built so that those inputing
information based on this hash could also provide a human readable key
to access the same page, so that the same information could be
accessed by either
http://geronimo.apache.org/bugs/<md5 hash> or
http://geronimo.apache.org/bugs/<human readable key>

Bottom line, the best thing for this would be to not have fully
automatic communication, but more along the lines of user-opted/
controlled submission.

Thanks,
Erik B. Craig
ecraig@apache.org