geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Warner" <jaw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo in year 2008
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:55:07 GMT
On Feb 11, 2008 11:35 AM, Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are some of my thoughts:
>
> 1) Tests and testing. We need to write more tests especially
> functional tests as a group. I can list a number of cases where simple
> changes caused things to break but we didn't find out about it until a
> few weeks later. I'm not talking about very complicated tests, just
> simple tests to verify the component is still functioning right.
>
> 2) Samples. Like Donald mentioned, take better care of them and
> release them with each new G release.
>
> 3) Reacting to user questions. Create/update documentation (e.g. FAQ)
> as soon as the same question is posted twice on the user mailing list.
>
> 4) Leverage GShell. Write more useful GShell commands to automate or
> reduce the number of manual configuration steps to configure Geronimo
> for something. One example: creating/managing G instances.
>
> Jarek
>
> On Feb 7, 2008 9:58 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1vamsi1c@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Geronimo had a great year 2007.  I don't need to re-list all our
> > achievements listed in Matt's mail from 31st Dec 2007
> > (http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg54994.html).
>  Now
> > that 2.1 is also rolling out, I think it is time we start discussing
> what we
> > want to do in Geronimo in year 2008.  Let us also discuss what we "must"
> do
> > to make Geronimo an application server of choice.  I would like all of
> us to
> > use this mail thread to put forth our thoughts (and any action items
> some of
> > us may have already come up with silently) so that the community can see
> > what great heights Geronimo will scale in 2008.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > ++Vamsi

I completely agree with Jarek's #4.  GShell has a lot of potential.  We need
to unleash that potential.

Personally, I'd like to see enhancement of usability for creating/deploying
plugins.  I recently ran into
an issue where it was difficult to port a plugin from one system to another
due to dependencies and the
way the plugin installer works (command line).

~Jason Warner