geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: framework assembly distribution?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:19:58 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:03 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

>> With our 2.1 distribution (as with earlier distributions) we are
>> only providing the javaee5 & minimal assemblies.  Are we ever
>> planning to make the geronimo-framework assembly available in a
>> distribution so that a user could start from scratch (not even a
>> web container) and build up a server by installing plugins?
>>
>> That was the original intent when we created this assembly.  I know
>> that the originally framework included enough deployment capability
>> to deploy plugins.  However, I'm not certain that is still the case
>> (I haven't tried in a long time).  Assuming you can still install
>> plugins (or we add that back in), I think it makes sense to
>> distribute this assembly. BTW, I'm not proposing this for 2.1 given
>> that it is nearly completely baked.
>
> All the framework assembly can do is install plugins.  I think we
> should definitely distribute it in the future and I am proposing we
> distribute it for 2.1 as well.  IIUC in any case it will get into
> the maven repos, so adding it to the official download page
> shouldn't be too hard.

Agreed. We are releasing the framework assembly. It's part of the
binary artifacts in our maven repo -- http://people.apache.org/~kevan/release-votes/G-2.1/geronimo-2.1/org/apache/geronimo/assemblies/geronimo-framework/2.1/

Simple matter, IMO, to also include in the distribution page. IMO, a
vote isn't necessary (as it's already covered by the existing 2.1
vote). I'll give this a bit of time, to see if there are contrary
opinions. Assuming, the 2.1 vote passes and there aren't any
objections, I'll set up framework in the distribution directory, also.

--kevan