geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:56:43 GMT
On Feb 14, 2008 7:02 PM, Gianny Damour <gianny.damour@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is really great news.
>
> I very quickly browsed the specifications and I have a couple of
> questions:
> 1. Is there a way to define task dependencies? For instance, I should
> be able to queue a task B which will only be executed after the
> execution of task A as task B depends on task A's outputs.

No, there is not.

> 2. Is there a way to specify routing strategies for distributable
> tasks? For instance, as an application developer, I would like to
> have an API to route my tasks to specific slaves.
> 3. Is there a way to transparently fail-over a non started task to
> another slave if the slave becomes unavailable?

Right now, the spec does not talk too much about the distributable
ManagedExecutorServices and there are no specific API for it. So a lot
of that might end up implementation or app server specific. But that
might change in the future as the spec evolves.

> Let me know if you need some helps to implement task distribution.
> FWIW, WADI has a simple distributed service invocation framework (see
> http://wadi.codehaus.org/wadi-core/apidocs/index.html - start with
> ServiceProxyFactory) which could be quite useful.

Sure. I think the distributable ManagedExecutorServices are optional
but if we do decide to support it we'll definitely need your help and
expertise. Thanks!

Jarek