geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:37:37 GMT
I applied this patch with some text changes and think the result is
OK as far as legal issues.

I tried to make the msyql-connector-java jar an optional dependency
but maven insists on downloading it anyway.  If we can prevent this
I'd prefer it.  The only reason for the dependency is so it gets
copied into the plugin dependency list.

The README now says:

Roller with MySql Licensing:

MySQL is Licensed under the GPL license: http://www.mysql.com/company/
legal/licensing/
and also under a FLOSS exception: http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/
licensing/foss-exception.html.

Neither of these license terms are compatible with the goals of the ASF.

The mysql-connector-java jar should not be needed to build the roller-
mysql-database plugin (it is marked as an optional dependency) but
for unknown reasons it is currently downloaded during the build.  The
only purpose of including the dependency in the pom is to get it
into the geronimo plugin dependency list.

The mysql-connector-java jar is listed as a prerequisite of the
roller-mysql-database plugin.  This has the effect of requiring the user
to install the mysql jar themselves into their geronimo server before
installing the roller-mysql-database plugin.  The licensing issues
are explained in text in the prerequisite specification.

Roller with MySql Setup:
At any time you can start using mysql as database back-end by
installing the roller-mysql plugin module.
Before installing the roller-mysql plugin create a empty mysql
database called 'roller' with the user 'roller' and password 'roller'.
After installing the roller-mysql plugin you may need to restart
roller for the database change to take effect this can be done from
Geronimos console via "Application" -->> "Web App WARs".

The description of the prerequisite, which appears in the console
when you try to install the plugin, reads:

                          This module requires the mysql connector to
be present in the Geronimo repository.
                                     MySQL is Licensed under the GPL
license: http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/
                                     MySQL is also available under a
FLOSS exception: http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-
exception.html.
                                     The FLOSS exception only be
applied to MySQL when it is used under an OSI-approved license.

                                     Neither of these licenses are
compatible with the goals of the Apache Software Foundation.
                                     Thus, we cannot let the MySQL
roller plugin automaticaly download the connector for you.
                                     How ever if either of the above
license terms are acceptable to you, you may download the
                                     connector into the Geronimo
repository yourself and re-select/install this module to
                                     enable roller with a mysql
connector.

I checked that the console plugin installer worked properly and it
clearly prevents you from installing the plugin with mysql-connector-
jar missing and you can see the prerequisite description.  You also
can't install it using the gshell list-plugins command but it is a
lot harder to tell that it didn't install and the description is not
presented.

thanks
david jencks