geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: framework assembly distribution?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:03:33 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> With our 2.1 distribution (as with earlier distributions) we are
> only providing the javaee5 & minimal assemblies.  Are we ever
> planning to make the geronimo-framework assembly available in a
> distribution so that a user could start from scratch (not even a
> web container) and build up a server by installing plugins?
> That was the original intent when we created this assembly.  I know
> that the originally framework included enough deployment capability
> to deploy plugins.  However, I'm not certain that is still the case
> (I haven't tried in a long time).  Assuming you can still install
> plugins (or we add that back in), I think it makes sense to
> distribute this assembly. BTW, I'm not proposing this for 2.1 given
> that it is nearly completely baked.

All the framework assembly can do is install plugins.  I think we
should definitely distribute it in the future and I am proposing we
distribute it for 2.1 as well.  IIUC in any case it will get into the
maven repos, so adding it to the official download page shouldn't be
too hard.

thanks for noticing it was missing :-)
david jencks

> What do others think?