geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 documentation update
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:15:34 GMT

Jason Warner wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com
> <mailto:hcunico@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     "Need update" would be something like moved the content from prev
>     release but not yet finished. Or worked on some brand new content
>     but still need to update it to reflect the latest changes on the
>     server ( think of it as if you started before Geronimo was released,
>     then you would have a bunch of SNAPSHOTs all over the place).
>     If there is anything on the Need update column then there should not
>     be a green check mark on the status column. Does this make sense?
>     what do others think?
>

> Your explanation of "Need update" seems to be about what I thought it
> was.  Thanks for the clarification.
>

>     As for "...still needs someone who knows what the article is talking
>     about to update..." I would hope that the people who jumps into any
>     of those subjects can follow it through all the way. Otherwise this
>     table won't help us figure out how complete the content really is.
>

>  I understand your concern, but there are many topics in the 2.0
> documentation that are large and fairly encompassing.  I don't think it
> unreasonable for someone to move the document over and fix what they're
> able to, but then mark it as Need update if they're not comfortable with
> their knowledge on a certain subject.  I think it'll be very difficult
> to port all this documentation over if we wait for someone who's able to
> verify every thing on a page to take responsibility for it.  I'm not
> advocating people just blindly port pages over and mark it as Need
> update without attempting to verify what they can.  I just don't want
> people to be turned off from helping with documentation just because
> they're not a power user.

So, how do we keep track of such topics then. I think looking into previous docs and updating
the content is a great start for those that are not experts.

By following through I mean just that, if you don't know the entirely topic bring the question
forward (dev@, IRC, jira, phone, smoke signals, anything that works) What a best way to learn
a new topic than following it through from start to end. I find this very encouraging :D

Cheers!
Hernan