geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: NPE exporting a plugin ... null returned from getPluginMetadata()]
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:42:01 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:
> forwarding messages to dev list for further discussion.

I agree this would perhaps be the best.  Combining the plan and
geronimo-plugin.xml is an interesting idea.  I think that makes a lot of
sense if we can provide or construct reasonable defaults so that the
geronimo-plugin info need only be specified if the user really has
intentions of exporting a plugin.  Would this then result in the
configuration being considered as if it was an installed plugin and
available for other functions such as inclusion when exporting a server?

> -- config stores could insert them when you install a module.  I think
> this might be the best plan for now if all the info is available for
> constructing a default geronimo-plugin.xml
>
> -- config stores or the GeronimoSourceRepository could provide a default
> if there's nothing there when you ask.  I'm not too thrilled with this,
> it makes me feel like the config store is lying.  The SourceRepository
> might be ok.
I think this would be ok in the short term.  It seems that this is the
function that was in place earlier.  The nice thing about it is that it
is only created when necessary (and then only for transient purposes
since it isn't persisted).  AFAIK this is only used when exporting
plugins at the moment.

> -- plugin installer could construct it if missing.  I think this is my
> second choice at the moment.
>
> One thing I haven't figured out is if the console lets you just edit the
> plugin info or only includes the edited info in the export.  Do you know?
Some of the information can be edited but not all.  For example, the
Unique ID cannot be edited but some other fields (such as the human
readable name) can be.