geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Geronimo v2.1 documentation - Content
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:49:11 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi Hernan, I looked at the index you put out there and I think it is
> very good!  I cannot wait for these contents to be filled to
> understand a bit more about these exciting 2.1 new features!!
>
> I think it'll be useful to add a FAQ or troubleshooting section.   I
> hope this can be the first place for a user to look at whenever they
> run into some probs/exceptions.    The content can grow based on the
> questions we get on the user list.

At some point we had a Troubleshooting section, maybe I forgot to bring the title over 2.1
doc. I just added the entry on the User's guide side.
Ideally the Troubleshooting section should be a subset, an excerpt of some of the other areas
already covered. I personally think of Troubleshooting section more like a convenience section.

Agree with you that ultimately we want to address every single question from the user list.
Hernan's view of the world!? if a user have an issue doing a task on Geronimo that means that
A) G is not intuitive enough, B) we don't provide enough documentation on how to perform such
task, C) we do have that info but it is a secret well kept and only a few know about it ;-)
, D) all of the above.

With that said, tackling an issue on the Troubleshooting section is a great start but we shouldn't
stop there ;-)

> Also, I think the sample application and tutorial sections are a bit
> confusion.  First I look at the sample application and saw we only
> have 2 down there but then I realized most of the samples are in the
> tutorial section.

The User's guide on the left is somewhat a carry over of topics from 2.0. For 2.1 I brought
back the idea of the Developer's guide and put the Tutorials section there in contrast with
Samples section from the User's guide. If you look at the Tutorials you'll see there is a
different approach, it is more aligned with developing applications with GEP for instance,
hence the location on the Developer's guide.

Sample applications could end up being renamed to just Samples as it included some sample
configurations as well.

Either way, The doc is still on its early stages and this may change as we continue to develop
the content.

As usual, comments, new ideas and most definitively doc contributions are always welcome

Cheers!
Hernan

> Lin
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Kevan, Thanks for updating the doc.
>>
>>  I thought it would be useful for the users to know what versions are we using for
the components/projects that make Geronimo v2.1
>>  For example, what version of Tomcat, Jetty, Derby, Axis...
>>
>>  It would even help us to keep track of the components and versions, all in one place.
>>
>>  Maybe this info could later on live on the Geronimo architecture section. Once we
have the info it's easier to move.