geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo Tomcat 2.0.3-SNAPSHOT: SESSIONS.ser written to workDir
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:32:51 GMT
Aka the 2.0 branch -
	https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/2.0

We need to continue supporting our user community and stop forcing them
to the latest and greatest release.  Look at how Tomcat and the HTTP
Server handle support with tons of "." releases.  I'm not saying we
should have as many maintenance releases as Tomcat (ie. 5.5.26) but we
should try to keep supporting a release by integrating patches for say 6
months after the last maintenance release, which would mean we're still
in the 2.0.x 6 months window (released 20071019.)

If a committer is willing to help solve a user's problem on a prior
release, then +1000 to them.

There are still users asking about 1.1.1 on the users mailing list, so
obviously we need to do a better job of supporting our releases and stop
this "try the latest release" and "try the latest snapshot" approach
that we have been doing.

My 2 cents....

-Donald