geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Release Roller plugin soon?
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:51:40 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> Now that 2.1 is released (I think :-)  I'd like to move toward
> releasing the Roller plugin pretty soon.
>
> The major obstacle I know of is that the source of the roller war used
> as input is rather mysterious and is certainly not released by
> roller.  I can build it locally but I've forgotten what roller
> modifications if any are in it.
You are right about that ;). If you chose the local build strategy,
checking out the roller 4.0 tag and use "ant mvn-install"  (also before
first time build "ant mvn-get") should build and install the roller
artifacs. My impression is that this should produce the same stuff as is
released by the roller teem as mvn-install depends on "build" and I cant
find any other ant release related sections but maybe the actuall
release is done some other way (?). No extra patches should be needed
every necessary patch we provided and wanted to get in for the plugin to
work smoothly has been included by the roller teem before the svn
branching to 4.1.

> I'm not exactly happy with the idea but think the most practical
> solution is to check any necessary roller patch and the built war into
> svn.  I don't know if we could convince the roller project to release
> maven-compatible artifacts in a reasonable amount of time.
There is a "mvn-deploy" section in the roller projects ant build.xml
file but I don't know if anybody has pulled the trigger ;) but releasing
artifacts may not be that far away. But as you say a more practical
solution is probably to add the war by setting up a extra
"roller-war-mvn-install" section in the roller plugin code base that
puts the war in your local maven repos.

> Another possible improvement is to remove the jars from WEB-INF/lib
> and put them into our repository.  This would greatly reduce the size
> of the war we'd have to keep in svn.
In the long run, if we cant convince the roller teem to pick up maven
which dosen't seem likely, this would be something to consider although
during my work on a maven build system for roller I found that 4 of the
roller used lib jars is not present in maven, but that may have changed.
One way to accomplish this would be to pick up and maintain the maven
build patch for roller but maybe that would be to "go over the river for
water".

> Does anyone else want improvements before we release?
If the "how to build" section in the readme file is not enough I would
vote for including the war "as is" in a "install war section" in the
plugin code base before release to "ensure" everybody building the
plugin uses the same roller war.

There is a roller v4.0.1 on its way I haven't looked at it but maybe we
should upgrade to it as it is likely it is a bug fix release.

regards
   Peter Petersson