geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "B.J. Reed" <bjre...@gmail.com>
Subject exception handling / first failure diagnostic capture
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:42:43 GMT
 >From the meeting yesterday, I would be interested in working on the
exception handling / first failure diagnostics, but I need some help to
get started.

I guess I envision the following:
1) grouping of all message strings into a common place (or perhaps a
specific place within each plugin/module), probably using resource
bundles or something similar to make it easier to change languages and
giving each message its own unique id.  Which brings up another thought,
are there plans to translate the Admin Console which is out of scope
here, but might have an influence on how this is done?  Or at the very
least for now, should the Admin Console be updated to have a message
language selection?

2) What kind of diagnostic information are we looking for?

3) create a new class GeronimoException at the point of failure and
throw these around (if we need to rethrow).  This class would have the
extra diagnostic info in it and would get the proper message string.

4) Since this will be common class(es), where is the best place for this
to live?

5) Open for any other suggestions/comments/better way of doing this that
people may have for a good way to set a common way of doing this for
Geronimo.  I'm sure that other people have thought about this much
longer than I have.

B.J.