geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo in year 2008
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:49:43 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> Server assembly --  We could look at simplifying this process. You
> currently must have application plugins in order to include application
> capabilities in a server assembly. Why not export based on one or more
> installed applications? Also, in addition to our current, low-level
> module/plugin focus, can we have a simpler/higher-level focus? Some
> users would rather choose "JMS" rather than
> "org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-ra/2.1/car", "JSP/Servlet",
> "Deploy" capabilities, etc.

Yes, I think this "template" notion (I think we've used that term at
other times) is the next logical step in the flexible server.  I'm not
sure if you were thinking only in terms of the Server Assembly function
(from the console or command line) ... but this would make a lot of
sense from a remote install capability as well.  We could get to a point
where the user could just download the framework assembly and then
choose to install a template from a "Template Repository" for something
like "Tomcat minimal" or "Jetty full Java EE 5" and have the server
image upgraded to that configuration.

Joe