geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: Re: [DISCUSS] Create a "Powered by Geronimo" page under Community]
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:45:25 GMT
In-line below.

Joe Bohn wrote:
> Donald Woods wrote:
>> Along the same lines as the other discussion topic on adding a "Ready
>> for Geronimo" page under the Community section of our website...
>>
>> How about we create a "Powered by Geronimo" page that would help
>> recognize the projects that provide a Geronimo based bundle (like
>> Liferay) and companies that provide applications or servers based on
>> Geronimo (like Intalio and IBM.)
>>
>> A sample can be found on our wiki at -
>>   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSITE/Powered+by+Geronimo
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

>> -Donald
>
> It seems that there is some overlap between the "Ready for Geronimo"
> idea and the "Powered by Geronimo" idea.  Is the distinction that you
> are trying to make between projects that embed Geronimo vs. those that
> provide functions (such as plugins) that are installed on top of
> Geronimo?   Could an entity provide both and get listed in each location
>  for the same general project?

Yes, that was the initial thought...  Sort of along the "Eclipse Ready"
and "Built on Eclipse" programs -
    http://www.eclipse.org/legal/logo_guidelines.php
    http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/

> For example, an entity that provides a payroll solution could create a
> plugin to install that solution on an existing Geronimo server instance.
>  They might also create a simple assembly that has the plugin
> pre-installed for uses to download as a turn-key solution.  Would they
> register under the "Ready for", "Powered by" or both?
>
> Perhaps we could integrate both of these concepts into one idea by
> simply calling out a page to list entities that provide some level of
> integration with Geronimo (i.e. Geronimo Partners?).  They could provide
> a one line description of their offering and a link to a page they own
> providing more detail on their level of integration (be it by providing
> Plugins, embedding a G server, providing support, whatever...).   I'm
> just thinking out load and not completely sold on this idea of combining
> the lists myself ... just trying to eliminate some ambiguity (and
> perhaps creating more :-) ).  Thoughts?

Hmmm - interesting compromise.  I was going for the idea of "Geronimo
Ready" as a way to help promote/evangelize Geronimo and projects that
support it, so maybe a generic "Supports Geronimo" or "Geronimo Partner"
logo and page with a quick summary on their offering would suffice for now.