geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "B.J. Reed" <bjre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Round trip debugging of Geronimo in Eclipse
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:57:34 GMT
Dan Becker wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have set up a Geronimo 2.1 server in Eclipse using the instructions given
> at
> http://geronimo.apache.org/developing-the-geronimo-eclipse-plugin-in-eclipse.html.
>
> I have imported a server trunk tree as projects into my Eclipse environment,
> set up a Geronimo server runtime, and point a Plug-in Target Platform back
> to my plugin directory. At this point all seems to be working. I can use
> Eclipse to start and stop the server, and catch a break point in
> geronimo-system.
>
> However, when I try to modify the server code, I have difficulty taking the
> updated class back to the runtime to further debug it. I see modifying a
> Java file in Eclipse produces an updated class file in the server trunk
> framework module geronimo-system directory, but I still am unclear what
> steps or what  poms to build to bring this class back to the server runtime.
>
> I would appreciate any doc pointers or explanations to help clear my newbie
> confusion.
> Thanks, Dan

Also being a Geronimo newbie, I'm sure I'm not the best to answer this,
but what I have seen work for me (and I'm sure this is the long way)
follows.  After making my change to the code, I do a mvn at the trunk
level.  This will build the  changed code and any dependencies and the
assemblies.  Then I unzip the new assembly over the old server unzipped
directory and I can see the changes I made.

B.J.