geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo Server 2.1 and Geronimo TxManager 2.1.1 Releases
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:06:03 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:
> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> I've downloaded these images and done a few simple tests.  I've also
>>> run a number of TCK tests with them (although I have long runs going
>>> now to cover all the tests).  So far things look very good.
>>> One minor problem I noticed is that we are printing INFO messages to
>>> the console.  This is especially noticeable when certain actions are
>>> performed on the Admin Console and a number of INFO messages are
>>> displayed in the command line console.  I personally would prefer to
>>> not see these messages by changing the default logging level to
>>> WARNING or ERROR as we have done with prior releases.  Thoughts?
>>> I know it's a lot of work to spin a new release candidate so I'm
>>> debating if this issue alone merits creating a new image.
>> Creating the release does take a bit of effort, but should be mostly a
>> matter of time. The file uploads to Apache took ~ 8 hours, I think.
>> But this was from home. So, was upload limited... We should be past
>> all of the first-time build barriers that I was running into over the
>> weekend.
>> What are the INFO messages? What are the user actions that trigger them?
>> I'm probably OK with INFO messages. We can clean them up in 2.1.1...
>> But rebuilding is not a big issue, if we want to clean them up.
> Hmm .... the logging issue might be a red herring.  I started to see the
> info messages after I installed the Artifactory 1.2.5 war file.  Some of
> these messages are from Artifactory itself however after I installed
> that I also started to see info message from just about all console
> portlets by simply navigating to them ... such as:
> 2008-02-11 13:01:29,286 [INFO ] (     - Portlet mode
> 'edit' not found for portletId: '/console-base.ThreadPool!2137960813|0'
> 2008-02-11 13:01:29,287 [INFO ] (     - Portlet mode
> 'help' not found for portletId: '/console-base.ThreadPool!2137960813|0'
> I need to dig a bit more.

So I think Artifactory registered their own log handler that echoed the
messages to both the log and stdout ... hence why they appeared in the
console.  These messages seems to be useless anyway, so we should
probably clean them up sometime.  However, they aren't displayed in the
console by default and therefore the log messages in the console are not
a Geronimo issue.

View raw message