geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Create a "Powered by Geronimo" page under Community
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:57:53 GMT
Donald Woods wrote:
> Along the same lines as the other discussion topic on adding a "Ready
> for Geronimo" page under the Community section of our website...
>
> How about we create a "Powered by Geronimo" page that would help
> recognize the projects that provide a Geronimo based bundle (like
> Liferay) and companies that provide applications or servers based on
> Geronimo (like Intalio and IBM.)
>
> A sample can be found on our wiki at -
>   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSITE/Powered+by+Geronimo
>
> Thoughts?
>

> -Donald

It seems that there is some overlap between the "Ready for Geronimo"
idea and the "Powered by Geronimo" idea.  Is the distinction that you
are trying to make between projects that embed Geronimo vs. those that
provide functions (such as plugins) that are installed on top of
Geronimo?   Could an entity provide both and get listed in each location
  for the same general project?

For example, an entity that provides a payroll solution could create a
plugin to install that solution on an existing Geronimo server instance.
  They might also create a simple assembly that has the plugin
pre-installed for uses to download as a turn-key solution.  Would they
register under the "Ready for", "Powered by" or both?

Perhaps we could integrate both of these concepts into one idea by
simply calling out a page to list entities that provide some level of
integration with Geronimo (i.e. Geronimo Partners?).  They could provide
a one line description of their offering and a link to a page they own
providing more detail on their level of integration (be it by providing
Plugins, embedding a G server, providing support, whatever...).   I'm
just thinking out load and not completely sold on this idea of combining
the lists myself ... just trying to eliminate some ambiguity (and
perhaps creating more :-) ).  Thoughts?

Joe