geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:11:55 GMT
Hi all

Thank you Kevan for bringing this to the table. Just to make sure
everybody is clear on what the roller-mysql-database plugin dose, or
more to the point dose not do. Jarek is exactly right when he says that
the plugin dosen't actually include or distribute the mysql driver but
it dose however automatically download the driver if it is not already
present in the geronimo repository.

As this automatic non user interaction convenience of the plugin, that
dose not in a clear way tell the user what he/she is about to do
(licence way) is the issue I would like to know if we have a consensus
on using prerequsite in the plugin configuration (on the mysql driver
being loaded beforehand) to satisfactory handle the licensing issue ?

If I understand Kevan right a prerequisite on the driver would satisfy
things so my suggestion (although I am just slightly involved in the
roller plugin project and not in the PMC) would be to modify the plugin
accordingly and reinstate it in the roller plugin assembly (as it is now
it is disabled) what is your take on this?

If we have consensus on this what would be a feasible text to put in the
prerequisite section ?

Although using prerequisite to fix this is (or may be) a available and
viable option It would IMHO (although I don't know if it would satisfy
the ASF Licensing Policy(?)) be more feasible (in cases like this) to
somehow make the user aware of the licence statement and give him/here
the option, after reading the licence (or what ever is necessary to
satisfy the parties), to cancel the installation if he/she so chooses.

regards
  Peter P