geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 documentation
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:14:58 GMT
Donald Woods wrote:
> The TOC seems to be too Feature centric.
> As new users pickup Geronimo, we really need to focus on making their
> startup/learning curve as short and simple as possible.
>
> How about grouping the content based on its intended audience with
> cross-links between sections as needed -
>
> * Getting Started
> ** What's New/Changes from 2.0
> ** Obtaining, Community Support, Opening JIRAs
> ** Using GShell
>
> * Developers
> ** Deployment plan creator
> ** Schema Docs (XSD to JavaDoc/HTML)
> ** Migrating apps from prior releases
> ** Pluggable Console
> ** Plugin Infrastructure
> ** Eclipse Plugin
> ** Sample Apps
>
> * Administrators
> ** Configuration
> ** Administration Console
> ** Security and LoginModule usage
> ** Resource Adapters (DB, JMS, ...)
> ** Server Instances/Custom Assemblies
> ** Clustering
> ** Monitoring
> ** Advanced GShell topics

Yup, checking the latest updates it seems like we are heading in that direction.

> The ReleaseNotes are included in the assemblies, so no need to duplicate

We generate the release notes from the wiki so we can keep them here or move the file to maybe
GMOxPMGT space.

> it in the docs.  Anything on building from source or debuging a server
> in Eclipse should be kept in the GMOxDev wiki.

GMOxDev has lot of info and not all up to date. It wouldn't hurt to have the 2.1 specific
build info under GMOxDOC21. I mean, the more the merrier

> Also, now that we have a start of a internationalized Admin Console, I'd
> keep the number of screen shots to a minimum, as to reduce the effort
> required for others wanting to translate the docs into other languages.

Agreed, screen captures will become an issue, even for updating future releases. It's just
that some times a screen shot saves you a lot of typing.

Good comments, keep it coming !

Cheers!
Hernan