geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 documentation
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:47:49 GMT
The TOC seems to be too Feature centric.
As new users pickup Geronimo, we really need to focus on making their
startup/learning curve as short and simple as possible.

How about grouping the content based on its intended audience with
cross-links between sections as needed -

* Getting Started
** What's New/Changes from 2.0
** Obtaining, Community Support, Opening JIRAs
** Using GShell

* Developers
** Deployment plan creator
** Schema Docs (XSD to JavaDoc/HTML)
** Migrating apps from prior releases
** Pluggable Console
** Plugin Infrastructure
** Eclipse Plugin
** Sample Apps

* Administrators
** Configuration
** Administration Console
** Security and LoginModule usage
** Resource Adapters (DB, JMS, ...)
** Server Instances/Custom Assemblies
** Clustering
** Monitoring
** Advanced GShell topics

The ReleaseNotes are included in the assemblies, so no need to duplicate
it in the docs.  Anything on building from source or debuging a server
in Eclipse should be kept in the GMOxDev wiki.

Also, now that we have a start of a internationalized Admin Console, I'd
keep the number of screen shots to a minimum, as to reduce the effort
required for others wanting to translate the docs into other languages.

-Donald