geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo in year 2008
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:33:53 GMT

On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Shiva Kumar H R wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 2008 2:09 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com
>> <mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>     3a is implemented in 2.1
>> Is there an admin console page for this already implemented?
>>      Despite my liking for xmlbeans and its unique strengths I
>> think a
>>     very strong argument can be made for moving the deployer code
>> to jaxb.
>> Interesting!! Let me do some quick learning of jaxb and start a
>> separate thread on this.
>
> We need to discuss introducing more dependencies on JAXB as a group
> first, as this just ties more of our server code with Sun RI, which
> has no alternative implementation right now (and could be licensed
> from Sun as GPL in future releases....)

My understanding is that jaxb is included in the jre starting with
java 6.  IMO this is one of the arguments in its favor.

We also can't avoid it at this point.  Openejb deployment is very
tied to jaxb and the geronimo startup code also  relies on it.  I
don't think rewriting the openejb deployment system using xmlbeans is
plausible.

thanks
david jencks