geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:55:15 GMT

On Feb 6, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It looks like MySQL has specifically granted an exception to their
> usual GPL license requirement for a list of FLOSS licenses - ASF 2.0
> included:
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html
>
> In fact, the Apache Portable Runtime library is the only
> specifically listed library/package listed on that exclusion page.
>
> So I think we could distribute the roller-mysql-database plugin if
> we wanted to - there is already a precedent at the ASF.

The MySQL FLOSS exception *only* applies when used under the terms of
an OSI license. Apache allows it's software to be re-licensed under
any license (open source or proprietary). The FLOSS exception prevents
this.

> Or, could we change the way that the plugin is built so that it just
> has a dependency on a MySQL driver being loaded in the repository?
> That way, we could give a fairly simple set of instructions on
> downloading the library from MySQL and loading the jar files into
> the repository before trying to load the plugin.  In my personal
> setup, I already had a MySQL driver loaded - having one bundled just
> means that now I have two.

Yes. However, it should not be something which maven (or Geronimo)
does automatically or implicitly (e.g. without the user's awareness).
The user must be aware of his actions and the implications of these
actions.

> I haven't played with creating any plugins yet, so I don't know if
> the system we have now allows for creating a plugin that doesn't
> bundle in the dependencies.  Is that something that can be done?
>
> If we can build plugins that do not necessarily bundle in the
> dependencies then I think that would be the best way of handling
> plugins that would bring up licensing questions.  If we cannot, then
> it looks like we will need to put some procedure in place to review
> plugins that include third party code before they can be hosted by us.

Right. As long as there is an explicit user action that causes the
download/installation to occur and as long as we make it clear to the
user that this action is retrieving a GPL/FLOSS licensed artifact, we
should be good.

--kevan