geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:43:54 GMT
I'm pretty sure I don't completely understand the issues but...

just because mysql has granted an exemption that means the tranql
code is not automatically gpl (since it is asf 2.0 licensed) does not
mean that the mysql binary can be distributed from the asf.  IIUC the
asf wants to only be involved in distributing code that is asf
licensed or licensed under similar terms: the mysql driver is
definitely not licensed under similar terms.

So, it appears to be ok to have code to build the roller-mysql plugin
at apache, but it should not be run without the user taking special
steps that indicate they are aware of the licensing consequences and
the result should not be distributed from apache.

There's a lot of recent discussion on legal-discuss on this.

thanks
david jencks