geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Dillon" <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:12:30 GMT
Ditto

--jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:08:53
To:dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication

On Nov 6, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Hi All,
> the Apache PRC has sent a communication to all PMC's about how we (I
> mean Apache projects in general) "thank" sponsors for their
> contributions to the projects on the project's website. This type of
> acknowledgment is not considered official from Apache, in fact gets
> in the way for promoting the official ASF Sponsorship and Thanks!
> programs.
>
> Going to a more concrete example on our website, we have a "Powered
> By" page. This page has a misleading title for a start; we have been
> carrying this one along for a very long time and I doubt it is up to
> date anyway. The "Powered By" page provides a list of companies
> rendering services and support for Apache Geronimo. So, at a
> minimum, we should change the page title to something more
> representative.
>
> The other acknowledgment we have is with "Graphics by Epiq", these
> are folks who got voted for their designs when we overhauled the
> website and console. This one falls into the same category as the
> "Powered By" page for which the PRC communication seems to be
> specifically targeted to.
>
> The Search box also shows "Powered by Google Search", however this
> might be a different case as this is an indicative of the type of
> search the user will actually run -> external Google search on the
> Geronimo site.
>
> I just added the official "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links
> to the Community menu box on the left as instructed in the PRC
> communication. We still need to determine how to deal with "Powered
> By" and "Graphics by Epiq". The former should be at least renamed if
> not removed altogether, the latter should be removed I think.

Hernan,
I missed part of this note the first time. So, apologies...

Regarding the "Graphics by Epiq" thank-you link we had on our web
pages: the request from the ASF PRC was to "track and monitor" our
"Thank You" pages. The basic idea is, make sure that we are giving
thanks for something significant and don't give away advertising that
is out of proportion to the donation. The PRC's intent is to encourage
ASF Sponsorship, not to prevent a well-earned thank you. At least this
is how I interpret the PRC request...

I think the Geronimo "G" graphics merit the continued gratitude of the
Geronimo project. I'd like to see our little thank you restored. Would
you be ok with that? How do others feel?

--kevan