geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Dillon" <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:51:43 GMT
Sounds good to me.

--jason

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jarek Gawor" <jgawor@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:06:43
To:"Geronimo Dev" <dev@geronimo.apache.org>
Subject: Concurrency Utilities for Java EE

Folks,

For the past few weeks I've been working on the Concurrency Utilities
for Java EE specification implementation. The Concurrency Utilities
for Java EE specification is a draft specification (see
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrencyee-interest/ for more info)
that is supposed to replace the JSR-236 (Timer API) and JSR-237 (Work
Manager API) specifications and become part of Java EE 6.  The
Concurrency Utilities for Java EE specification basically extends the
java.util.concurrent.Executor API and adds managed environment
qualities to the tasks executed via the Executor. That is, the
background tasks can execute with the same environment as the
application that started it.

I have a little bit of code but it's definitely not complete or fully
functional and still needs a lot of work (e.g. better integration with
Geronimo, etc.). I would like to donate this code to Geronimo, and
continue to work on it there as a community.

Now, the cool thing is that this implementation might become the
official Reference Implementation (RI) for this spec. I've talked with
the IBM co-spec lead and there is a good chance of that happening if
we also commit to writing a TCK for it. And I think that would be a
great opportunity for Geronimo to show some leadership in the Java EE
spec area.

Even if the RI thing does not work out or this specification does not
become part of Java EE 6, I still think this functionally would be a
good addition to Geronimo.

What do people think? Thoughts, any concerns?

Jarek