geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Sangjin Lee" <sjl...@gmail.com>
Subject [AsyncHttpClient] order of Future completion and callback invocation
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:49:32 GMT
Currently the callback methods from AsyncHttpClientCallback get called
*after* the response future object is completed.  I think this causes a
subtle bug that may prevent the callback methods from being completed if one
uses both the callback and the future.
For example, consider the following case:

ResponseFuture future = client.invoke(..., callback); // callback is not
null
HttpResponseMessage response = future.get(); // this blocks until future is
complete

Since the future is completed before the callback is invoked, the caller
thread in this case gets unblocked before the callback is called.  If the
caller thread goes away, then there is possibility that the callback may not
be completed or may not even be called, depending on the timing.

This strikes me as a bug...  I propose we invoke the callback first and then
complete the future so the callbacks are guaranteed to be completed even if
future is used.  What do you think?  I'll open a JIRA issue if you guys
agree this is a bug.

Thanks,
Sangjin