geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Monitoring Plugin to get stats through JMX or MEJB
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:23:13 GMT

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Viet Nguyen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There was a recent discussion on whether the monitoring plugin should
> use JMX or MEJB to fetch Geronimo's statistics. Since we want to be
> able to monitor any type of Geronimo server, including little-G, it is
> not preferred that we have to pull in OpenEJB in order to monitor that
> server. Therefore, the JMX method looks like a potential alternative,
> because I do not think it will need to pull in any additional
> components.
>
> The idea of using JMX and MEJB is the same, and that is, we want to
> get a hold of the MBeanServer to query that for statistics.
>
> The concept of MEJB was defined in JSR-77, which is the only reason I
> am hesitant to start migrating over to using the JMX method. Should we
> strictly follow the JSR? or should we branch off and customize a
> little?
>
> Any thoughts or comments?

My impression (not based on any inside info whatsoever) is that the
MEJB was introduced largely because for some reason the jsr77 spec
team didn't want to require jmx in j2ee -- this was well before jmx
was added to j2se.  I don't see any problem using jmx for monitoring
geronimo servers.  If we want to be able to also monitor other
servers we could keep the MEJB-using code around for that purpose.

my opinion :-)
david jencks