geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Running integration tests by default?
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:26:11 GMT

On Jan 2, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007 4:41 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> First of all I appear to have broken the build last night with some
>> changes to get the roller plugin building again.  I think I've
>> managed to fix all the problems -- the it tests all pass for me.  Let
>> me know if there are still problems.
>>
>> I think its still too hard to run the integration tests.
>
> I would like to know what exactly you think is hard about it. It would
> be great if you could please share your thoughts and ideas on making
> it simpler.

I didn't see a way to run the integration tests with the main build
without a separate command.  Unless I can run everything in one
command, I'm pretty sure laziness will take over and I won't run the
integration tests.

>> I've made a
>> possibly annoying change so that the default build includes IT.  If
>> you don't want them run
>>
>> mvn clean install -P no-it
>>
>> If this is too annoying we could reverse the profiles and have the
>> default leave out the it as before and a with-it profile that
>> includes them.
>
> Yeah. I think the default profile should not run the IT. IMHO, I think
> it should not even run the unit tests by default. Developers (should)
> run unit & IT tests before committing their code. And we have
> automation builds with all tests that run 4 times a day anyways. So
> the default profile can well do away with tests. But that may just be
> my opinion.

After working through some hard problem and getting ready to commit
the last thing anyone wants to do is remember a second command or
even a command line option to run some tests: they are apt to type
the simplest command that will check the build.  I think that command
should run all the tests, including the integration tests.  Even
though there's enough time to go eat dinner while they run, our most
comprehensive checks will be run.  If you get too bored you can
always stop the build after you think enough stuff has been checked,
and if you remember you can run the build with options to turn off
whatever tests you want to skip.

ApacheDS had their integration tests run using an option and most
people did not run them due to the extra effort of trying to remember
to type more on the command line.  I think they've changed so the
integration tests are run by default.

I'm happy to keep talking about this.... and I'll be happy enough
with a "with-it" option, but I think running everything by default is
the best strategy.

>> Comments?
>>
>> This might have bad effects on Prasad's automation but I'm not sure
>> how that is run.
>
> For now, the automation builds have been modified to use the no-it
> profile.

thanks!
david jencks