geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Spec development/release process documentation
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:37:54 GMT
The specs tree seems to be in a mess with stuff in branches and waay
too much stuff in trunk, and many trunk poms having a xxx-SNAPSHOT
version where the latest tag is xxx.

I've attempted to document our previous decisions on spec development
and release in specs/branches/README:

WARNING

DO NOT DEVELOP ANY SPECS UNDER BRANCHES OR COPY ANY VERSIONS INTO
BRANCHES

ALL DEVELOPMENT MUST TAKE PLACE UNDER TRUNK

ANY CODE UNDER BRANCHES IS AN ERROR AND SHOULD BE CLEANED UP AS SOON
AS POSSIBLE

and specs/trunk/README.txt:

Structure
========

Only specs under active development should be in trunk.  Once you
release, delete the trunk.  If you need to make a change or bugfix,
copy the latest tag into trunk and work with that.

Be certain that all dependencies are marked "provided"

Do not copy any code into branches under any circumstances.

Building
========

The is normally no root pom, so you need to build specs individually.

To build you will need:

  * J2SE SDK 1.5+ (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2)
  * Maven 2.0.7+ (http://maven.apache.org)

To build all changes incrementally:

     mvn install

To perform clean builds, which are sometimes needed after some
changes to the
source tree:

     mvn clean install

Releasing
=========

Use the maven-release-plugin.

Stage to your people.apache.org account or to your local machine and
scp to people.apache.org.

After a release vote has passed use the maven-stage-plugin to
transfer the voted artifacts to the apache release repo.

Please review, fix, and if you think this isn't what we agreed on
complain.

thanks
david jencks