geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Proposed plugin and clustering code/module rearrangement
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:31:46 GMT
All, Happy New Year 2008!

On 05/01/2008, at 9:10 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> There are a couple code rearrangements I'd like to see before 2.1
> goes out.  I think they are somewhat related.
>
> 1. The plugin management code has been getting larger and more
> complicated and I think it should be in separate jar/car and the
> console support in separate cars.  I have the non-console bit of
> this working locally.  I have some of the jsr88 stuff wrapped up
> with the plugin stuff, and I believe the result is that you can
> construct a server with no ability to add or remove plugins or add
> or remove applications.  To me this seems like a very useful feature.
>
> 2. I think the "farm management" features of the clustering module
> should be separated from the clustering code and be available
> optionally independent of  whether clustering is enabled.  IMO the
> farm management features really only need the plugin management
> capabilities (I realize the farm management is not currently based
> on plugins, but think we need to consider whether it should be).
This is a good idea. What do you think of moving
org.apache.geronimo.clustering.deployment+config, i.e. farm
management features and static cluster configuration classes, to a
new project, say clustering/geronimo-farm?

Regarding the idea of basing the code on plugins, this is also a good
idea. However, I will not be able to work on that before a couple of
weeks as I would like to firstly complete the clustering of SFSB
(should be there end of next week) and load-time-weaving to simplify
delta replication.

> 3. Jetty and tomcat now have some reliance on some base clustering
> classes which are only available in the clustering config.  I
> think the base classes should be provided in e.g. j2ee-server and
> things arranged so that if you don't have the clustering config you
> don't get clustering, and if you do have it you do get clustering.
> It might be that all the actual clustering gbeans could go into
> wadi-clustering, I haven't looked into this.
This is an approach.

What do you think of this approach - for Jetty?
* create a new project plugins/jetty/geronimo-jetty6-clustering;
* move the package org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.cluster to this new
project; and
* add a new dep. to jetty6-clustering-wadi.

This way, the jetty6 config does not depend on clustering.

If this is fine by you, then I am keen to do 2. and 3.

Thanks,
Gianny