geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From AlskiOnTheWeb <alskionthe...@hotmail.com>
Subject Can anyone build 1.2 from the soource repository?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:52:42 GMT

Hi all,

I first downloaded the source tar and tried to build that. No go as it was
missing some snapshots now. Not knowing the slightest bit about maven (nor
wanting to really), I pulled a source tree of the 1.2 tag. I am using Sun's
JDK 1.5.0_12 with Maven 2.0.8 trying to build source from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/1.2. If I try "mvn
install" as the build instructions suggest, I get:

Downloading:
http://repository.codehaus.org/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/car-maven-plugin/1.2/car-maven-plugin-1.2.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/car-maven-plugin/1.2/car-maven-plugin-1.2.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Plugin could not be found - check that the goal name is correct:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository

Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file

there:
    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

  org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:1.2

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
  apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)

  org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:1.2

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
  apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 minute 45 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 22 13:47:53 EST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 36M/65M
[INFO]

I have no idea what it means by "Try downloading the file manually from the
project website.". I tried the first suggestion it had of "mvn
install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file" but that didn't seem to do anything (and yes, I did
try and point it at the proper jar, not /path/to/file ;-)).

I guess I have two queistions:

1) Has anyone gotten this to build recently and if so, in laymans terms,
what did you do to maven to make it build?

2) Is there a "here's the most common problems with maven and how to solve
them" for geronimo anywhere? Seems from looking that the use of maven has
been more a curse than a blessing here and now I see why...so much for build
repeatability.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Alski