Yes, the application can not be installed from other instances as all the instances are sharing the same repository.  But, nothing prevents you from starting the app in the other instances.  Only thing is that before you to uninstall the application from one instance, it has to be stopped in the other instances or else those instances will end up with startup failure.  I have not experimented with each instance using its own repository for applications and using common repository for core components.  In this case, one may have to use command line deployer and use the target option to specify the repo to which app is to be deployed.

++Vamsi