geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Viet Nguyen" <vhng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:45:43 GMT
> Whats your thought on an adapter interface that provides for full JSR-77
> compatibility, thus requiring EJB, or a switch that allows for pure JMX
> remoting?  This would allow for compliance or be able to leverage the
> management without EJB if so desired.
>
> Thoughts?

There are goods and bads to both sides to this. If we strictly follow
JSR 77, which means we will use MEJB and are forced to have OpenEJB as
a pre-req, we won't have to worry if our architecture is good or not
(I hope this is right), because we're following a standard for
monitoring and management. On the flip side, if we use JMX to get a
hold of the statistics, we will be able to monitor any type of server.
Doesn't necessarily have to be a Geronimo server either, as long as we
can connect to it via JMX, which I think is a huge plus.

With that said, I think if we decide to take the alternative JMX path,
it can be changed later (even though this was originally how we
implemented it). I think the important thing now, is to determine
whether or not the monitoring plugin merits a place in trunk.