geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Viet Nguyen" <vhng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 06:27:16 GMT
On Dec 5, 2007 9:23 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:07 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

> > On Dec 5, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
> >
> >> Viet,
> >>   Thanks for working on the monitoring console. A lot still remains
> >> be done. There are architectural issues which need to be addressed:
> >>    Currently the agent (aka mrc-server) needs to reside in same jvm
> >> as
> >> the server being monitored. It consumes significant DB resources.
> >
> > While this might not be ideal (I don't know one way or another) does
> > this make it useless?   I'd be in favor of getting something out
> > with some useful functionality now, and improving it as it gets used.
>
> I tend to agree.
>
> I'd like to give it a whirl. Erik/Viet are the installation
> instructions?

The installation is pretty simple. Since everything is packaged into
plugins there are two ways to do it.
1a. Just install the bundled (has both server and client) plugin....it
is monitor-tomcat/monitor-jetty
1b. Install the client plugin on a monitoring machine and the
mrc-server on the server to be monitored.
2. Then you add the server to the list of monitored machines via the portlet

> You mention MEJB connections. Can you help me understand where the
> MEJB is running? The local server or the remote servers?

The MEJB connections are done on the remote servers (those that are
being monitored with the collecting agent). The collecting agent
authenticates itself by having the client pass in the credentials.
Then this collecting agent acts as the thin layer between the client
and the MEJB, with additional functionality.