geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Viet Nguyen" <vhng...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:36:48 GMT
Hi All,

There has been a lot of work done on the monitoring plugin lately. I
think it is now time to move it from sandbox into trunk, in time for
the 2.1 release. I am unsure
of the timeline for 2.1, but I feel as though the monitoring plugin
should be moved to trunk around this time, so that the little kinks
can be worked out before it is
too late for the release. Erik and I have worked together along with
the help of many others to provide a monitoring collecting agent and
monitoring portlet.

To briefly go over what the monitoring plugin can do:
-monitor multiple servers
-securely connects to remote servers that are monitored (via MEJB and
encryption of the password using Geronimo's EncryptionManager)
-keeps an on going history of user-chosen statistics
-provides the ability to view current and past statistics
-customizable graphs (e.g. I can choose which stats I want to graph,
and much more)
-the ability to group certain graphs together into what we call a
"view." The idea is to allow an administrator to view only those
graphs that he cares about...all in one place!
-editable server, graphs, and views option
-provides the ability to keep track of any mbean that is declared as a
StatisticsProvider
-administrator can custom define the elapsed time period before each
snapshot is taken
-everything is packaged into plugins (separate plugins and a bundled
plugin with both pieces), so deploying is made easier

I hope that some of you can take some time to test out the plugin
which can be pulled from sandbox at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/monitoring and
provide
some feedback. If there are no objections, I hope that a committer can
soon move the monitoring plugin into trunk. One of the new features
that I would like to see listed
for the 2.1 release is this monitoring plugin. I believe it will
attract a lot of attention and users.

Thanks,
Viet