geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 05:03:46 GMT

On Dec 6, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Viet Nguyen wrote:

> There are goods and bads to both sides to this. If we strictly follow
> JSR 77, which means we will use MEJB and are forced to have OpenEJB as
> a pre-req, we won't have to worry if our architecture is good or not
> (I hope this is right), because we're following a standard for
> monitoring and management. On the flip side, if we use JMX to get a
> hold of the statistics, we will be able to monitor any type of server.

I'm aware that some commercial servers make sure that they support
JSR-77 as they have to.  Unfortunately, JSR-77 can be heavy and the
commercial servers, *they who must not be named*, use lighter weight
stuff under the covers and use their statistics for monitoring and
make JSR-77 available for those that want to code to it.  JSR-77 is a
required implementation but not the only way to do it.