geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:56:03 GMT

On Dec 7, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

> --- Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>   Perhaps I am not making it clear. The graph that is shown as
>>> requestTime for tomcatWebConnector is incorrect. The value returned
>> by
>>> tomcat is count not time. We need to have different methods to
>>> generate
>>> graphs for TimeStatistics, RangeStatistics, and
>>> BoundedRangeStatistics.
>>
>> OK. That's good information.
>
>   But a very important one for a user who takes the trouble to install
> the plugins and reads the document about monitoring and statistics.
>
> But, IMO, that doesn't necessarily mean
>>
>> we shouldn't move the monitoring plugin out of sandbox. It might mean
>>
>> that we aren't ready to *release* the monitoring plugin. I don't
>> think
>> we're having a *release* discussion -- at least we shouldn't be.
>
>    If the plugin is moved to trunk, as the title of the discussion
> says, does it not get automatically released?

It would be released *when* we release the code in trunk (in this case
with Geronimo 2.1). Until we release, it's under development just like
the rest of the server (and subject to change).

> We
>> can have the discussion that we don't want to hold up a Geronimo 2.1
>>
>> release waiting for monitoring plugin problems to be resolved, but
>> I'd
>> prefer we discuss without a particular timeline in mind...
>>
>> IMO, we have the following questions to answer:
>>
>> 1. Are we ready to move monitoring plugin out of sandbox?
>
> yes
>
>> 2. If yes, then where should we move it to? Should it be in server/
>> trunk/plugins or should the monitoring plugin be a subproject.
>
>    I was thinking of plugins..
>
>> 3. What bug fixes/new features need to be added to the monitoring
>> plugin before it's ready to be released?
>
>   We should do the minimum and make sure all the information that is
> displayed is correct, i.e. there is no discrepancy between the raw
> value (displayed on the console) and the graph. We can address the
> fact
> the values themselves are skewed later.

OK. Sounds good. I see you've been generating jira's against the admin
console. I assume they are recording the functions that need to be
fixed?

--kevan