geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to make the Yoko ORB a subproject of Geronimo.
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:56:03 GMT

On Dec 3, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> Below is a proposal that Matt Hogstrom, one of the mentors of the
> Yoko project, has put forward for moving on with the Yoko project.
> In a nutshell, the Yoko community has basically decided there is not
> a lot of continuing interesting in moving this project forward.
> This decision does have a major impact on Geronimo, as Geronimo uses
> the Yoko ORB was a key element to allow Geronimo 1.2 to support both
> the 1.4 and 1.5 JVMs, and also was a necessary element for achieving
> j2ee5 certification.  The Yoko ORB gives Geronimo cross JVM
> portability which was not available before.  At the current time,
> there's probably no suitable replacement that has all of the
> advantages that the Yoko ORB provides.
> In a nutshell, Matt's proposal is for the core ORB elements of the
> Yoko project become a subproject of the Geronimo project.  These are
> the pieces of Yoko that Geronimo has a dependency upon.  These are
> essentially the org.omg.* clases, the javax.rmi.* classes, plus the
> implementation classes backing those spec interfaces.  Along with
> the subproject, there are 6 committers who have expressed interest
> in continuing to work on the core ORB code.  3 of the interested
> commiters are already Geronimo committers.  Matt's proposal would
> grant the remaining 3 Geronimo committer status as well.
>
> There's one important caveat in assuming owership of this package.
> The core ORB is also used by the Harmony project to add CORBA and
> RMI support to the Harmony JVM.  Included with assuming ownership of
> the package would be a commitment to keep the core ORB a
> "standalone" component.  This means not adding direct dependencies
> on Geronimo and keeping dependencies on other packages to a minimum.
> This code is fairly stable now, and has already passed certification
> on multiple JVM instances, so I don't expect there will be a lot of
> overhead in supporting this.  The bulk of the recent work to get
> this to pass certification have been done by Geronimo committers, so
> Geronimo is probably the most appropriate new home for this code.
> Anyway, this needs to have some discussion and be put to a vote.
> Below is the proposal that Matt posted to the Yoko dev mailing list
> about this move.  The Yoko community seems very much in agreement
> that project does not have sufficient momentum to graduate from the
> incubator.

Thanks for the summary, Rick.

I'm certainly interested in seeing support for Yoko move forward. This
seems like a positive move. It would have my support.

After a brief review of the Yoko dev list archives and based on
Matt's, and Alan's recommendations, I would support adding Lars,
Alexey, and Darren to as Geronimo committers.

Keeping Yoko as a standalone component is an easy decision, IMO. Hard
to see it any other way...

--kevan