geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the Monitoring Plugin Into Trunk
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:54:46 GMT

On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

>     I see Monitoring Console as a tool, a standard J2EE Application,
> that has been packaged for a convenient installation in Geronimo. It
> talks to a geronimo specific agent to discover and monitor a geronimo
> instance running elsewhere. I do not see it as an integral part of G,
> and hence prefer /plugins. Its location in svn does not affect the
> convenience of using it. It will always be installed from 'plugins'
> portlet and will be visible as an available plugin.
>    But that is just my opinion..

You make a good point.  I think the correct decision would be what do
the users want in terms of it being an integral part of what they do
they would prefer to not go and install it but have it as part of the
base install.  I'd be ok with either approach.  Most AppServers that I
know of do ship their project with some minimal level of monitoring.
Perhaps that is the JMXViewer.  Although, I'd personally prefer the
GUI of the console over the viewer but that is personal preferece.