geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fewer gbean proxies on the horizon
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:44:32 GMT

On Dec 13, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Wow!  Either you're pretty sharp or you really need a faster
> machine!  :)

or the solution was really simple :-)

> I think the main issue was that the console expected to be able to
> cast GBean references to some helper interface in order to start and
> stop individual GBeans and get a GBean's name and things like that.
> And the proxies provided implementations of that interface that the
> "plain" GBean references did not.  I think we made wide use of that
> before realizing that it might be desirable to eliminate it.

That's the only need for proxies I'm aware of.

> Was the workaround just to call kernel methods to get the GBean name
> and start and stop instead?

What I did was in the KernelManagementHelper class get a proxy for
anything we return, so the console could continue to use that proxy
to use the geronimo management interface.

If there are other ways of getting gbeans that need the management
interface in the console I haven't fixed them and someone will find
that something is broken.

thanks
david jencks