geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do Plugins need Prerequisites?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:38:29 GMT
Thanks Aaron for the thorough explanation.  I agree that the prereq
relationship provides useful information and functionality beyond
what the dependency relationship provides.  The plugins portlet in
the admin console will currently inspect the prerequisites for the
plugins listed in a remote catalog and will designate any plugins
that have missing prerequisites as being not compatible with the
server.  (Incompatible server or JVM versions are handled the same
way.)  I think that designation is useful as it prompts the user to
inspect the plugin's properties to get further details on what steps
they might need to take to prepare or reconfigure their server --
e.g. manually create a db pool, replace a conflicting component,
etc.  I also think the prereq relationship is especially useful
because webapp plugins are not compatible between tomcat and jetty
assemblies, and like you say we don't want the plugin installer to
automatically install a second web container into an assembly if the
user picks the wrong plugin.

Best wishes,
Paul