geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik B. Craig" <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Monitoring Client may need a new graphing engine
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:55:41 GMT

On Dec 6, 2007, at 10:35 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007, at 9:29 PM, Erik B. Craig wrote:
>> All,
>> Currently the monitoring client is using Dojo 0.4.3 charting, which
>> does not necessarily behave as expected on Firefox/Safari on a mac,
>> or on IE6 on Windows.
>> I consider this to be a shortcoming, and given the new version of
>> Dojo available (1.0.1), began investigating migrating the
>> monitoring client over to the new version of Dojo, only to find
>> that the new version of dojo appears to be a significant rewrite of
>> the old code base, leaving out some features that I consider to be
>> very visually pleasing and important for statistics viewing. While
>> rummaging through the Dojo forums, I stumbled upon another
>> Javascript graphing framework called Timeplot, which is part of the
>> SIMILE project at MIT, and while this has it's own set of
>> limitations... I'm trying to figure out the lesser of three evils
>> before it comes a time that this monitoring plugin will be
>> released, so that I have enough time (read: 3-5 days) to migrate
>> the javascript generation over to something new if necessary.
>> I have created a small demonstration page that shows all three
>> options graphed with the same data series, as well as weighing some
>> of the advantages/disadvantages I could come up with,
>> Please have a look, and let me know your thoughts.
>> Personally, I think it would be really cool if we could use the
>> Timeplot graphing libraries, as it is all BSD licensed and
>> therefore friendly I believe (right, Kevan?)... and also EXTREMELY
>> cool for showing multiple data series in one chart.
> I'll take a look at the license info for Timeplot.
> However, if Timeplot doesn't work in IE, that's a severe
> disadvantage. Can you explain what doesn't work?

 From what I understand as far as Timeplot goes, it's due to Timeplot
using 'Canvas' to do the rendering, which is not something that
Internet Explorer has support for, and they are looking to begin using
an open sourced google library called 'explorer canvas' to enable
internet explorer support in the next release
(reference here on their site:

As far as current dojo (0.4.3) is concerned, from what i can tell -
any browser on a Mac will not draw any of the surrounding text on a
graph... at least as implemented in a portlet. (The Axis labels and
values are absent).
I have also been unable to get IE6 to draw the graphs in the current
portlet as implemented.

> --kevan

Thanks for taking a look at the license Kevan.

Erik B. Craig
View raw message