geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik B. Craig" <ecr...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Monitoring Client may need a new graphing engine
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 02:29:17 GMT
All,

Currently the monitoring client is using Dojo 0.4.3 charting, which does
not necessarily behave as expected on Firefox/Safari on a mac, or on IE6
on Windows.
I consider this to be a shortcoming, and given the new version of Dojo
available (1.0.1), began investigating migrating the monitoring client
over to the new version of Dojo, only to find that the new version of
dojo appears to be a significant rewrite of the old code base, leaving
out some features that I consider to be very visually pleasing and
important for statistics viewing. While rummaging through the Dojo
forums, I stumbled upon another Javascript graphing framework called
Timeplot, which is part of the SIMILE project at MIT, and while this has
it's own set of limitations... I'm trying to figure out the lesser of
three evils before it comes a time that this monitoring plugin will be
released, so that I have enough time (read: 3-5 days) to migrate the
javascript generation over to something new if necessary.

I have created a small demonstration page that shows all three options
graphed with the same data series, as well as weighing some of the
advantages/disadvantages I could come up with,
Please have a look, and let me know your thoughts.

http://people.apache.org/~ecraig/graphdemo/

Personally, I think it would be really cool if we could use the Timeplot
graphing libraries, as it is all BSD licensed and therefore friendly I
believe (right, Kevan?)... and also EXTREMELY cool for showing multiple
data series in one chart.

--
Thanks,
Erik B. Craig