geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Our 2.1 assemblies are nearly 2x the size of 2.0.2
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:04:26 GMT
On 04/12/2007, at 11:45 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

>> I wonder if we should consider allowing gshell to be optional...
>
> I'd recommend *not*, though if we aren't happy with the additional
> bloat from the current impl, we can re-implement in pure-java and
> remove the dependency on Groovy.  Its possible, though not very
> elegant IMO, as the AntBuilder syntax is ideal for launching new
> processes.
Hi,

I am actually quite a fan of Groovy commands and really would like
Groovy to stick around. Beside the fact that the AntBuilder syntax is
neat, Groovy commands could provide a very neat and simple way to
dynamically introduce new commands w/o going through a compile cycle.
I believe many Geronimo users are Java savvy enough, and hence also
Groovy savvy enough to directly implement their commands in Groovy.
It is in my understanding that gshell provides a gsh-bsf command (not
tried, just read the code) and this is a first way to launch Groovy
scripts; however, it would be great to directly map commands to
groovy scripts out-of-the-box.

Thanks,
Gianny