geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS/FEEDBACK] Usability improvements to Geronimo
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:27:38 GMT
On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

>> Can you be more specific here?  What operations and how does a
>> message
>> make things any more dynamic?  Is this a web console only concern
>> or is
>> it also a command line concern?
>
> Yes. Let me give you an example. Recently I was deploying a
> configuration. For a while the wheels turned and then I received an
> operation successful message. However, the deployment had spewn a
> boatload of stack traces to the geronimo.log file.
>
> In another example, the Websphere App Server shows informational
> messages as an app is being deployed. That is quite reassuring to an
> administrator.
>
> For now, this is a console-only concern.

The console already provides this type of feedback while installing a
plugin.  Downloading JDBC drivers using the db wizard provides it as
well.  It should be pretty straightforward to use that same ajax
widget to show progress info in the deployment portlet if that's
desirable.  I can't really think of any other console actions that
take a non-trivial amount of time to complete.  Maybe start/stop
components in some cases.

Best wishes,
Paul