geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Distribution and start/stop of clustered deployments
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:47:31 GMT

On 13/11/2007, at 4:42 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Gianny Damour wrote:
>> You can successfully "distribute" when all the configured cluster
>> members are running. If one of them is down, then the installation
>> fails. This seems to be a typical scenario - at least based on the
>> clustered deployments I have been working with.
>
> Hmmm...I have found this to be different...
>
> I have found that if 1 node in the cluster is bad, it is removed from
> the general cluster array (i.e. look at heartbeats and the
> joining/leaving of a general cluster).
>
> This is a valid use case.  The 1 server could have a problem with
> it...such as network, hardware, etc.  Not clustering due to a bad
> server
> would defeat the purpose of providing for fail over.

I hope we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about a
"deployment time" constraint and not a "runtime" constraint mandating
that all the servers are reachable when an application is *deployed*.
FWIW, such a constraint was also defined by WebLogic 7.0; from
WebLogic 8.x+, this constraint was subsequently relaxed in order to
allow the deployment to a sub-set of the cluster members - however,
users can still enforce it if they want and partial deployments is
not recommended. As previously said, it is trivial to implement a
GBean to distribute a backed configuration to a server, which was not
reachable upon deployment.

Thanks,
Gianny