geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.1 Release
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:31:37 GMT
On Nov 6, 2007, at 11:35 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> 1. get rid of gbean proxies in gbean references.  IIRC Dain did
> some experiments long ago and this resulted in a noticeable
> speedup.  The problem at that time was that it broke the admin
> console.  I think the main breakage was that attribute changes
> weren't saved???  I was wondering if we could leave the machinery
> to create proxies in place but not use it for gbean references and
> have the admin console explicitly request the proxies.  Does anyone
> remember or know enough about this to comment on or refute this?

As I recall the main issue with getting rid of the automatic proxy
creation was that the console currently takes advantage of the fact
that they can be cast to GeronimoManagedBean, which allows the
console to do things like start/stop the gbean or get the gbean state
and uptime in a generic way without knowing the ObjectName in
advance.  GeronimoManagedBean.getObjectName() is also pretty handy
for introspection purposes.  So leaving the machinery in place to
support explicitly creating proxies would probably be required at
minimum.

But I like the idea of eliminating the automatic creation of proxies
- not only for the speedup but also because the automagically
generated src can drive me crazy when debugging.  I know proxies can
be turned off via Dain's experimental system property but I'm usually
debugging the console, which needs them turned on.  Catch-22.

If someone wants to create a patch for the kernel that implements
this idea then I can help assess the subsequent changes needed for
the console.

Best wishes.
Paul