geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Can we deal generically with container specific jsr77 statistics?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:33:08 GMT

On Nov 8, 2007, at 7:10 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

> --- "Erik B. Craig" <ginemesis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  say, openEJB or somesuch
>> would also
>> reside here rather than within our openEJB package? If so, how would
>> this
>> all play into the pluggable server/framework design?
>>
>     Since these classes ONLY depend on management classes and not on
> openEJB or somesuch, it does not affect the pluggable server/framework
> design. I do not think we are planning to strip down classes from
> g-management to cater to pluggable framework and add classes as we
> upgrade to a higher assembly.

I agree with you that it is possible to include the Jetty/Tomcat
Stats classes in g-management without pulling in any jetty or tomcat
classes, and similarly all the named geronimo specific stats classes
don't require classes from the components they are for.  Similarly I
think its pretty clear my proposal will work and clients can get the
StatsImpl objects and deal with them by finding out what they support.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to expose classes that turn the
set of Statistics exposed by some particular geronimo component into
a type, or if it is a better idea for clients to use the generic
interface.  IIRC when we introduced these classes they seemed like a
good idea but I'm wondering if they have any real use.  AFAICT the
classes names w/jetty/tomcat aren't used anywhere outside the jetty/
tomcat modules which makes me think that we should consider removing
all of the non-generic types from g-management, starting with the
Tomcat ones and continuing as time allows.

So to me this is pretty much a philosophical question.  I'm leaning
towards only exposing generic classes.  What do others think?  Why is
it a good idea to have the non-generic classes?

thanks
david jencks