geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS/FEEDBACK] Usability improvements to Geronimo
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:00:23 GMT
On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:35 PM, David Jencks wrote:

>>> Yes. Let me give you an example. Recently I was deploying a
>>> configuration. For a while the wheels turned and then I received an
>>> operation successful message. However, the deployment had spewn a
>>> boatload of stack traces to the geronimo.log file.
>>>
>>> In another example, the Websphere App Server shows informational
>>> messages as an app is being deployed. That is quite reassuring to an
>>> administrator.
>>>
>>> For now, this is a console-only concern.
>>
>> The console already provides this type of feedback while
>> installing a plugin.  Downloading JDBC drivers using the db wizard
>> provides it as well.  It should be pretty straightforward to use
>> that same ajax widget to show progress info in the deployment
>> portlet if that's desirable.  I can't really think of any other
>> console actions that take a non-trivial amount of time to
>> complete.  Maybe start/stop components in some cases.
>>

> I think more important than dynamic feedback is accurate feedback
> on whether the operation failed.  Maybe things have gotten better
> lately but my expectation honed through years of frustration is
> that to really find out if a console operation succeeded I have to
> look in the cli console or logs for the pages of stack trace that
> were suppressed in the admin console.

Oh, well, you're right.  The console does a poor job of surfacing
error messages and diagnostic feedback in many cases.  I would
actually consider the lack of good error handling as a separate issue
from progress info.   Sorry if I am splitting hairs.   Anyway, let's
make sure that "better error handling and diagnostic feedback" is
represented in some form on the list.

Best wishes,
Paul